Sunday, June 8, 2008

Fight Time



Throughout the night, sat in room 707, boxers came, full of adrenaline and pride, quickly relived their fight to us that were still waiting, got dressed into posh frocks or smart suits and disappeared. The pressure was getting to me. I was now in full gear and Isaac had wrapped my hands really well. The fight before mine featured Gavin. He had broken a rib 3 weeks ago and was fighting with it strapped up. They called him down, we hugged, I wished him luck and off he went. I knew I was next and I was now all alone in the room. I went into the bathroom, closed the door, saw someones blood on the walls of the shower cubicle and was sick into the toilet.



After composing myself I went back into the room, put some loud music on the stereo and started to dance in front of the mirror. Now was the time. If I didn't relax and try my best I'd regret this forever. I had a lot of friends downstairs that were as nervous as I and I owed it to them and to myself to do my best. The music and the dancing calmed me down and I was ready.

Saeed came into the room and I hit some combinations into his hands. He then said we have to leave. I gave a quick prayer to ask for some divine support and headed for the elevator. By the time we got to the entrance area Gavin's fight had finished. I tried to keep calm.


The announcer called our fight but instead of my name he called Ben's and Ben's music started. Ben was ushered in front of me and was rushed out first. All I recall of that moment was that Bob Marley was playing and all of Zack's boys were LOVING it. They were dancing and singing. I also recall one of the ring girls had lost her pink phone and was asking everyone in sight if they'd found it, she even offered a reward of 1000aed! I came away from the entrance area to try and get some space and keep some focus.

Then it was time. All I heard were the end of the ring announcers words....... "...Brown Sugar Moooooosa". Sean Paul started singing and off we went. As I stepped into the arena the noise was incredible. The politeness of earlier in the night had disappeared and a booze fuelled atmosphere of noise and fun had taken over. I did not want to rush this moment. We walked slowly to the ring, around it and to my corner. I saw friends everywhere and I felt remarkably calm. Another quick prayer before entering the ring and then I was in. I danced to the centre, looked Ben in the eye and gave him a wink. He looked focused and unruffled by the whole situation. Either this bloke was tough as nails or the best poker player in the world.

The first round was a blur. I knew that after we touched gloves at the beginning he'd try an overhand right. It was something Richie had said in training a few weeks before and as he was in Ben's corner I knew he'd try it. As we touched, I stepped back and his right missed everything. It felt good. It felt like I thought about the fight, planned something, executed it and it worked. Zack and all the trainers had told me to jab and step back for the first couple of rounds and engage in the third. That's exactly what I did. I'd hit him, step back and watch his massive right hook swing in front of my nose. The whole first round was like that and it felt incredible.

The second round was more of the same. However halfway through the round he caught me nicely on the jaw. It didn't hurt and it gave me the confidence to go forward. I decided the next time the big right came over I'd go forward and attack his body and head. Once again it worked. I don't think I hurt him but I know I got a few nice uppercuts that made him think.

Into the third. At this stage I felt fine. My fitness was good and I felt strong. Once again I jabbed but this time I didn't see one of Ben's big rights. It caught me across the jaw. It hurt. A few days back Zack had mentioned seeing stars and that it was common. I saw stars. I was still thinking though and I had planned to just grab him as he came forward. He didn't come forward and it gave me those few seconds I needed to get my composure. With the very next exchange I threw an uppercut. Bizarrely I heard the commentator say, "and Musa misses with the uppercut". I knew I didn't miss and the cut that opened up on the bridge of Ben's nose proved it. It looked quite bad and blood was gushing immediately. We exchanged a few more punches and then Zack came between us. He told me to go to a neutral corner. I could see him shaking his head and saying that he had to stop the fight. I could also hear Ben saying that he didn't want it to be stopped. Zack did well, he ran the clock down to only a few seconds to go, brought us to the middle of the ring, said Box, and the then the final bell rang.

What an experience. What relief. We both hugged and thanked both sets of trainers before receiving our trophies.

No comments: