Saturday, May 31, 2008

The First of 15 Minutes of Fame....


That's it. The countdown has begun. Yesterday afternoon was spent in a gym in Karama being photographed and filmed for both the on the night footage and also for a feature on Dubai One TV last night. There was a great deal of posturing, snarling, bag hitting and 10 or 15 minutes of hitting pads in front of the camera. I'm not sure about the rest of the team but I found myself grunting a little more and pounding Richie's glove with a straight right harder than I have done in any other training session. I know this is the case because today my right hand aches and I even broke skin through the glove and through the wrap! The TV feature was really good and although I've appeared on local TV before this is the first time I've been on without my other two chins!


In the end once a showman always a showman. Whether its the Cowboy sketch in the Reps Cabaret in Maggaluf when I first worked overseas or punching a bag in a sweaty gym in Dubai, put a camera in front of me and I can't help but show off. I remember Mr. McGowan at Wesham C of E primary school calling me a show off and me feeling indignant at the time....how right he was. Still, I have my concerns about male primary school teachers but that's a completely separate blog! I sincerely hope that the 1000 people in the room on Friday night have the effect of bringing the showman out and giving me that extra step or that extra lung full of air.


Anyhow, only 6 days to go now. I'm more nervous than I've ever been about anything before but at least this time next week it'll be over. My foot will be loose and my fancy will be free to eat what I want, drink what I want and sleep late when I want. However if I'm REALLY honest, when this is all over, will I not miss the remaining 14 minutes of fame this next week will bring?

No comments: