Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Important Stuff - Name & Music!



Following the sleepless night, beating, worries and fears earlier in the week I'm pleased to say I'm back on track. So much so that I think I've finally found my fight name and my entrance music! Let's start with the thought process. If I'm learning anything from this time it's that when it comes down to fight night its really all about me. However much people support you before and during the fight there is really only one person throwing and receiving punches. With that in mind it's important that I'm comfortable with everything surrounding the process.

I've had SO many suggestions about a fight name. "The Dark Destroyer", "Razamanaz", "The Sudanese Assassin", "KO Killa" are just not true and profess to a level of pugilism that I just don't possess! Some were just silly (and I have to say quite funny), "(Cry) Baby Face Musa", "Muzarable Fuckha" and my personal favourite, "The Love Bloat". For obvious reasons these were none starters!

Then, earlier in the week a mate suggested "Brown Sugar". I love it. It's respectful to some of histories greatest fighters, Joe Louis (The Brown Bomber) and Sugar Ray Leanord. It reflects my MASSIVE ego and I can think of some great music from great bands that surrounds it....D'Angelo, Rolling Stones, Mos Def, Little Richard and even ZZ Top. I mentioned it to a few people who in turn questioned the "hardness" of the name alongside the fear that it may be a little effeminate. I of course ignored them (see ego above) and it's now stuck. I've even found a logo!!

Now for the music. Once again every suggestion around the kind of music I like, Hip Hop, R&B and Reggae, talked about killing this, beating that, blah, blah, blah. One thing is for certain, I won't need pumping up before the fight. The nerves and the adrenaline will take care of all of that! I want to come into the ring listening to music that makes me happy, that makes me want to dance and will keep me calm. I've therefore decided to come into a Sean Paul tune from his Trinity Album. The song is called "We Be Burnin" and it always makes me bounce....!

"Every day we be burnin not concernin what nobody wanna say, we be earnin dollars and sterling coz we mind be on we pay.... recognise it, we pimpin as we ridin"

Brown Sugar & The Thunder From Down Under - June 6th 2008.

No comments: